Varieties of hosting services
A hosting solution pertains to keeping and/or sharing specific content on a web server hosted by a web hosting company. There are various sorts of hosting services utilized for various purposes, so let's take a peek at these. In this way, you can conclude what you want, on the basis of whether you desire to have a web page, email addresses, or to share files with comrades and associates.
- File hosting: a solution delivered by certain companies, which enables you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole objective is to share files, since it does not offer web page uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a register of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-cost file storage packages are often supported by showing ads next to the download links, while a timer compels you to await a given interval of time to view them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you possess a paid file hosting package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting companies, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a completely incongruous interpretation of the literal connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would divide the workload between independent stacks of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving different web site hosting services (electronic mail, disk space, stats, DNS, databases, webspace hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is just a type of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; given providers offer a hosting solution for images exclusively. This hosting variant is good if you wish to share a huge number of pics with mates or partners since the service is typically free of cost. You will get a random link for each and every picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be utilized for sites.
- Email hosting: a service committed to handling your e-mails. Some suppliers provide web page hosting services for websites, but do not supply an e-mail hosting service. If you would like to keep an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to possess a web site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you need. You can set up mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a given video file, or you can embed the video file in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of availing of this approach in lieu of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video clip creates a specific amount of central processing unit load, so with a few video clips and a few hundred web site visitors, you may have a problem with your web hosting resources. Embedding the video file will enable you to operate as many video clips as you want to without bothering about system supplies.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you need if you want to run a web site. To some extent, it contains all of the aforesaid hosting sorts since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can keep databases and e-mailbox accounts, upload video files, etc. At Free Hostia, for instance, you can take a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting services that enable you to get all of the abovementioned solutions in one single place. There may be limitations depending on the sort of hosting solution that you've chosen - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your website hosting package may be better or worse juxtaposed to the standard e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are made for specific content solely.